Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Catching My Breath

Aren't I the paranoid one?

Turns out my flight from the trailer park may have been a little hasty.
As soon as I could, after I left, I put some inquiries in to some buddies "on the inside."

After a few days of checking, they could find no evidence of any official operations against me. In fact a couple of them laughed at me for having the delusion of being more important than I actually am.

So now I feel like a total fool for having run away like that. Not only did I scare myself silly, but I had to throw away some dear possessions, all because of some strangers coming around looking for me. What in the world would somebody want with a drunken old slacker such as myself anyhow? The only thing I could think of was my Almanac (which will stay well-hidden all the same).

That being said, I've decided to stay in SoCal after all.

I got an apartment over the weekend, a charming old Polynesian complex that appeals to the incurable romantic in me (although I won't divulge where it is this time ;) ). It's got plenty of verdant foliage, and a pool surrounded by huge tikis illuminated by colorful floodlights. A veritable haven, it is liquor store and strip club close.
I look forward to summer nights beside the pool, steaks sizzling on the grill, my brain pleasantly fogged with tropical drinks...

Speaking of the Almanac, Eddie read my blog for the first time the other day, and scolded me for my use of the term. What would you have me call the most prized relic of my youth, Eddie?
Yes I have seen "Back to the Future" several times, and no, you're right, it is not a sports almanac; rather it is a guidebook and catalog of nearly all of the temporal nodes placed on this Earth, as well as a few of the Russian ones and a couple on the moon. I say nearly all because my tattered copy is the 1966 Varo edition, which of course is woefully out of date. It doesn't list the improved C and E models introduced in the late sixties and early seventies, nor the ones scattered throughout our solar system.

Hah! They're shaking their heads now, Eddie! You satisfied?

Eddie is one of those guys who babbles on about how "Information wants/needs to be free," or some other similar BS. He never considers the consequences of someone placing detailed instructions on how to build your own bomb, or desktop fusor, or LSD recipe, etc. on the internet. I've met some of the very people who should never get ahold of said "free information"-- mentally unbalanced types who are bored with ordinary reality, who are just waiting for the next big thrill.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if my mystery visitors are some friends of yours, Eddie.

Could you look into that?

I hope to be posting more regularly, now that I am not running around with my tail between my legs. My connection should be up in the next few days, my new ISP tells me.
Thank God! I am tired of mooching bandwidth at Starbuck's already...


Cheers!