Sunday, April 03, 2005

Checkered Demons?

Eddie and I were talking just the other day about Men in Black.
Not the movie (which I enjoyed by the way), but the actual phenomena reported by more than a few people (Google it if you want to know more...John Keel's Mothman Prophecies is a fun book, way better than the crappy movie which bears its name).

Eddie thinks the guys who were looking for me at the trailer park were MIB.

Myself, I highly doubt it. In fact I accused Eddie of trying to cover for some of his wackier friends who take this stuff way too seriously and may have come looking for me in order to start a new religion or something.

He ignored me of course and proceeded to relate a long conversation he had with Dora, my ex-neighbor. Apparently Eddie had taken it upon himself to interview the one person who got the best look at the visitors (having spoken to them face to face as she did).
He quizzed her for about an hour, and said a few things stood out, that to him, were classic hallmarks of any MIB tale:

1) They drove a really old car that looked showroom-fresh.

I stopped Eddie right there. There are plenty of vintage auto freaks in Orange County with money to burn, so what?
"Yeah but who restores a Checker?" Eddie quickly replied.

Checker the cab maker? Well, I've seen stranger things. A Checker would not be my first choice as far as classic cars go, but okay, what else?

2) Dora said their skin resembled "polystyrene," or smooth scar tissue.
Hmm...the Burn Victims' Classic Checker club paid me a visit and I missed it?

3) They didn't act or speak like "normal folks," in Dora's own words.

Okay, come on. This is Southern California, folks! I've hung out with people like this (except for the Checker part), and you cannot make a determination of otherworldliness based on these criteria.

However, the information set my fertile imagination in motion, and I was reminded of folklore about the Devil wearing checkered clothing...